Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (April 3, 2020)
Event: Departure Options Update
The U.S. Embassy in Riga reiterates The State Department’s Level Four Global Health Advisory “U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.”
Updates from yesterday:
From Lithuania: Two Belavia flights from Vilnius to Minsk were given permission to fly this weekend. They are as follows:
April 4: B2804 departing Vilnius at 18:40, arriving Minsk at 19:15
April 5: B2804 departing Vilnius at 20:40, arriving Minsk at 21:15
Americans are permitted to transit the Minsk airport to other destinations but must transit within 24 hours and must remain in the airport between flights.
U.S. citizens who do not show symptoms of COVID-19 can cross the Latvian land border with Lithuania to transit with proof of on onward travel from Vilnius.
If you are planning on crossing the land border to depart, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Departure Information:
While there are currently no scheduled passenger flights out of Latvia, Americans should check Air Baltic and the Latvian Ministry of Transportation websites for up-to-date information on possible flight additions.
U.S. citizens who do not show symptoms of COVID-19 and who have proof of onward travel from Tallinn, can cross the Latvian land border with Estonia to depart. Lufthansa has scheduled flights from Tallinn to Frankfurt on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays until April 18.
If you are planning on crossing either border to depart, please email us at email@example.com.
U.S. citizens transiting through other European airports such as Frankfurt or Amsterdam will not be allowed to leave the airport while transiting. They must stay at the airport between flights. Please email us for more information.
Actions to Take:
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are trying to leave Latvia.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.