Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (June 22, 2021)
Event: Latvia Eases Restrictions. U.S. Embassy Riga continues to monitor the rapidly changing conditions due to COVID-19 in Latvia and in other locations worldwide. The most current information regarding the impact of COVID-19 may be found on our COVID Information Page.
On June 15 the Cabinet of Ministers adopted a new regulation regards incoming travel into Latvia. For the full announcement, please visit: https://www.mk.gov.lv/en/article/june-16-requirements-entering-latvia-abroad-will-be-eased .
Non-essential travel from the EU/EEA zone countries, Switzerland and the United Kingdom and high and low risk third countries, including the United States, is allowed for all passengers but rules for vaccinated/recovered/ non vaccinated persons vary. See https://covid19.gov.lv/en for more information.
On June 19, Latvia added the United States to the list of countries with a low level of COVID-19 infections allowing for non-essential travel from the U.S. to Latvia without self-isolation upon arrival. Travelers are still required to present a negative PCR test upon arrival that was done within 72 hours of departure from the U.S.
All travelers to Latvia are still required to fill out and complete the electronic form at https://covidpass.lv/en/ at least 48 h before crossing the border. For minors, the form must be completed by the parent/legal representative. The form requires personal information, contact details, and the previous 14 days travel history. Travelers will receive a QR code that must be submitted to the border guard official. The data entered in the form will be forwarded to the competent Latvian authorities (Latvian police, border guard, and disease prevention and control center) and will be kept for 30 days.
On June 22, the Cabinet of Ministers eased restrictions on gathering. For more information in Latvian, please visit https://www.mk.gov.lv/lv/jaunums/uzlabojoties-epidemiologiskajai-situacijai-atkal-iespejams-plasak-pulceties.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit https://reopen.europa.eu/ for information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.