Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (July 17, 2020)
Event: Cabinet of Ministers Increase Information Collection From Foreign Travelers
From July 16, the Cabinet of Ministers approved several changes to Cabinet regulation number 360, “Epidemiological Safety Measures for the Containment of the Spread of COVID-19 Infection.” For a complete list of changes, including those cited in this message, visit their website here.
All passengers entering Latvia via international passenger carriers will have to submit a completed questionnaire to their carrier indicating the countries that they have visited in the previous 14 days, their contact information, and the address in Latvia where they will self-isolate for 14 days. Passenger data will be stored for 14 days and then deleted.
Information from passengers who have been in countries widely affected by Covid-19 will be passed on to the National Police to ensure that passengers are self-isolating. Information on all other passengers will be passed on to the Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, so tracing can occur if necessary.
No long-term visa applications (category D) will be accepted or considered from residents of countries with 16 or more new Covid-19 cases per 100,000 inhabitants over the last 14 days. A list of these countries can be found here.
You can find more information on current restrictions and information related to COVID-19 in Latvia including FAQs at https://covid19.gov.lv/en or by calling 8345.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit https://reopen.europa.eu/ for information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.