Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (July 2, 2020)
Event: Latvia Eases COVID-19 Restrictions and Extends State-Funded COVID-19 Testing
Easing of Restrictions
On Tuesday, June 30, the Cabinet of Ministers announced that from July 1, some restrictions related to the spread of COVID-19 would by eased due to the relatively low incidence of the virus in Latvia. They stressed that the government will continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19 and restrictions will be renewed if the situation worsens. For the full announcement, please visit http://www.mk.gov.lv/lv/aktualitates/epidemiologiskas-drosibas-pasakumi-covid-19-infekti-izplatibas-ierobezosanai-speka .
The changes to the restrictions are as follows:
1. While face coverings are still recommended, they are no longer required on public transportation except when traveling to a place of self-isolation after returning from abroad.
2. Up to 1000 people are now permitted at outdoor public events. On August 1, this number could be raised to 3000, depending on the rate of incidence of COVID-19.
3. Up to 100 people are now permitted at public indoor events in spaces up to 1000 m2. Up to 500 people are permitted in spaces larger than 1000 m2.
4. At restaurants and cafes, the space required per person indoors was reduced from 4 m2 to 3 m2.
5. There is no time limit for outdoor sports events, however, the working hours for gyms, fitness clubs and similar companies continue to be from 6:30 am to midnight.
Note: The requirement of two meters for social distancing remains in place.
State-funded COVID-19 Tests
In order to expand testing and detect possible outbreaks in a timely manner, state-funded COVID-19 testing is available by appointment on weekdays from 8.00 to 20.00, Saturdays from 9.00 to 15.00 and Sundays from 9.00 to 12.00. To make an appointment, call 8303.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit https://reopen.europa.eu/ for information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.