Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (March 26, 2020)
Event: Flights Out of Latvia Continue to Decrease
The U.S. Embassy reiterates the State Department’s Level Four Global Health Advisory, stating “U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.”
Departure opportunities from Latvia to the U.S. are decreasing.
Currently, Americans can leave from Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius airports to a limited number of other European cities where they can transit to the United States. Most European countries require an onward flight in order to transit. Please ensure that you have an onward flight to the United States before you begin travel. You can book directly with the airlines, travel agents, or online travel websites.
The Estonian land border with Latvia remains open to foreigners who wish to transit out through the Tallinn airport. Flights leaving from Tallinn Airport will be very limited after March 27, 2020.
The Lithuanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs extended the date of closure of its land border with Latvia for transiting foreigners to April 12, 2020 at midnight.
If you are planning on traveling through either land border, please advise the U.S Embassy Riga at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current flight Departure information:
Actions to Take:
- Email us directly at email@example.com if you are trying to leave Latvia.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.