Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Event: Further Airport and Land Border Closures
After March 27, 2020, the number of passenger flights out of Riga is expected to decrease further or stop altogether. This reduction or stoppage of flights could last several weeks or longer. The U.S. Embassy reiterates the State Department’s Level Four Global Health Advisory, stating “U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.”
On March 23, 2020, Latvian Foreign Minister Rinkevics confirmed that repatriation flights of Latvians back to Latvia will cease on March 27, 2020. This will further reduce the availability of flights in and out of Riga.
The Estonian land border with Latvia remains open to foreigners who wish to transit out through the Tallinn airport. Flights leaving from Tallinn Airport will be very limited after March 27, 2020.
The Lithuanian land border with Latvia will be closed to transiting foreigners beginning tomorrow night, March 25, 2020 at midnight.
Current flight Departure information:
Actions to Take:
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are trying to leave Latvia.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates