Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (June 10, 2020)
Event: Government of Latvia Offers Free COVID-19 Testing Until June 30
On June 9, the Ministry of Health announced that from June 10 to June 30, state-paid COVID-19 testing will be available to anyone, including those without symptoms. Previously, the state only sponsored tests for those with symptoms and/or who were recommended by a doctor to take the test.
To apply for Covid-19 testing, call 8303 on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
If you have no symptoms, you can travel to the testing site by private car, bicycle, on foot or by public transport using a mask. If you have symptoms, the Ministry of Health recommends that you contact your family doctor, who can then advise you on the necessary treatment and send you for a COVID-19 test.
For the announcement in Latvian, please go to the Ministry of Health website at https://www.vm.gov.lv/lv/aktualitates/preses_relizes/6363_ari_turpmak_arsti_vares_sniegt_konsultacijas_attalinati_covi
An article in English regarding the free tests can be found at https://bnn-news.com/state-financed-covid-19-tests-to-remain-available-in-latvia-until-junes-end-214241
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.