Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (December 23, 2020)
Event: Latvia Announces Additional Restrictions. The U.S. Embassy Riga continues to monitor the rapidly changing conditions due to COVID-19 in Latvia and in other locations worldwide. The most current information regarding the impact of COVID-19 may be found at our COVID Information Page.
On Thursday, December 22, the Cabinet of Ministers announced additional restrictions to be followed from December 23, 2020 until January 4, 2021. For the full announcement, please visit https://www.mk.gov.lv/lv/aktualitates/uz-divam-nedelam-slimnicas-partrauks-sniegt-planveida-stacionaros-pakalpojumus .
From December 23 until January 4, 2021 the inpatient medical treatment in hospitals is suspended except for:
- Continuity of treatment services – chemotherapy, biological medicinal products, organ substitution treatment, etc.
- Radiation therapy
- Health care services for hematological diseases
- Methadone and buprenorphine substitution treatment
- Interventional cardiology
- Interventional radiology
Hospitals will continue to provide the following services without limitation:
- Emergency medical assistance and acute assistance
- Oncological and life-saving surgeries
- Health care services related to oncology, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, psychiatry, contagious skin diseases, sexually transmitted diseases, and traumatology
- Rehabilitation services that if postponed could cause risk of disability, loss of capacity to work, or deterioration of functional abilities
Medical institutions shall continue to provide ambulatory health services, including medical consultations by health care professionals. However medical institutions shall evaluate which services can be provided remotely. Medical institutions will contact their patients individually to inform if planned medical appointment will be provided remotely or postponed to a later date. For additional information regards state paid medical services, please contact National Health Service of Latvia +371 8000 1234
Face masks outdoors
Face masks must be worn outdoors starting from age 7 where other visitors are present (ex. hiking trails, museum outdoor spaces, nature parks, etc.)
Travel to and from the United Kingdom
Latvia suspended passenger traffic to and from the United Kingdom from December 21 until January 1, 2021. For the full announcement, please visit: https://www.mk.gov.lv/en/aktualitates/passenger-services-and-united-kingdom-will-be-suspended-december-21 .
Travelers to Latvia
All travelers to Latvia are required to fill out and complete the electronic form at https://covidpass.lv/en/ at least 48 h before crossing the border. For minors, the form must be completed by the parent/legal representative. The form requires personal information, contact details, and the previous 14 days travel history. Travelers will receive a QR code that must be submitted to the border guard official (in case of border control or random inspection). The data entered in the form will be forwarded to the competent Latvian authorities (Latvian police, border guard, and disease prevention and control center) and will be kept for 30 days. More information is available at: https://mk.gov.lv/en/aktualitates/october-12-when-crossing-border-republic-latvia-electronic-questionnaire-will-have-be.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit https://reopen.europa.eu/ for information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.