Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (December 18, 2020)
Event: Latvia Announces Additional Tighter Restrictions
On Thursday, December 17, the Latvian Cabinet of Ministers announced additional restrictions from December 19, 2020 until January 11, 2021. The announcement stressed that anyone who is allowed to work remotely from home must do so.
For the full announcement, please visit https://mk.gov.lv/en/aktualitates/within-three-week-period-movement-people-must-be-significantly-reduced-allowing-us-gift
Highlights include the following:
- The winter break for grades 1-6 was extended to January 8.
- Distance learning for grades 7 – 12 continues from January 4.
- Only those in clinical practice in residency can continue in-person higher education.
- All extracurricular education will be remote.
- Sport gyms and centers are closed.
- Outdoor sports training can continue for up to 10 people if common changing rooms are not used.
- All culture venues are closed, including libraries.
- All indoor and outdoor markets are prohibited, including Christmas markets.
- Museum indoor spaces are closed. Some outdoor spaces are open with further restrictions.
- For a full list of stores that can be open please visit https://mk.gov.lv/en/aktualitates/within-three-week-period-movement-people-must-be-significantly-reduced-allowing-us-gift
- Beautician services are prohibited (ex. hairdressers, manicurists, pedicurists, etc.)
- No photography sessions allowed.
- Sport equipment rental companies must base themselves outdoors.
- All stores must ensure the following:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit https://reopen.europa.eu/ for information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
– 15 square meters per customer
– A sign is visible on the entrance door stating the maximum number of customers allowed
– The number of customers cannot exceed the number of available trolleys/carts
– Visitors shop alone unless accompanied by children under 12 or an assistant if needed
– Only one visitor at a time in small stores
Travelers to Latvia
All travelers to Latvia are required to fill out and complete the electronic form at https://covidpass.lv/en/ at least 48 h before crossing the border. For minors, the form must be completed by the parent/legal representative. The form requires personal information, contact details, and the previous 14 days travel history. Travelers will receive a QR code that must be submitted to the border guard official (in case of border control or random inspection). The data entered in the form will be forwarded to the competent Latvian authorities (Latvian police, border guard, and disease prevention and control center) and will be kept for 30 days. More information is available at: https://mk.gov.lv/en/aktualitates/october-12-when-crossing-border-republic-latvia-electronic-questionnaire-will-have-be.
Actions to Take: