Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (February 5, 2021)
Event: Latvia Extends State of Emergency until April 6 and Implements Stricter Travel Restrictions. U.S. Embassy Riga continues to monitor the rapidly changing conditions due to COVID-19 in Latvia and in other locations worldwide. The most current information regarding the impact of COVID-19 may be found at our COVID Information Page.
On Friday, February 5, the Cabinet of Ministers confirmed that state of emergency in Latvia will be extended until April 6, 2021. For the full announcement, please visit: https://www.mk.gov.lv/lv/jaunums/arkartejo-situaciju-pagarina-lidz-6-aprilim-pastiprina-prasibas-klatienes-tirdzniecibai-un-valsts-robezas-skersosanai.
Updated Restrictions from February 8 until April 6
- Some students meeting specific criteria will be permitted to have individual on-site consultations at educational institutions. Please see the website of the Cabinet of Ministers for more information.
- All bookstores may reopen
- Stores and service providers must ensure at least 25 square meters per customer.
- Stores at which groceries and/or hygiene products make up at least 70% of their goods are no longer limited to selling only those products.
- For a full list of products available and safety requirements for stores please visit https://www.em.gov.lv/lv/jaunums/no-8-februara-pastiprinatas-drosibas-prasibas-tirdznieciba-un-paplasinata-precu-pieejamiba-klatiene
New Travel Restrictions from February 11 until February 24
- Non-essential travel will be banned with limited exceptions such as travel for work, study, family reunification, medical treatment, transit, return to home country, funerals, or accompanying a minor. The traveler must include the purpose of travel when registering at covidpass.lv and be ready to present justification documents upon arrival to the State Police or Border Guards.
- Air passenger travel is suspended to and from the United Kingdom, Ireland and Portugal. For the full announcement, please visit: https://www.mfa.gov.lv/aktualitates/zinas/67442-no-11-lidz-25-februarim-latvija-vares-iecelot-tikai-butisku-un-neatliekamu-iemeslu-del
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit https://reopen.europa.eu/ for information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.