Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (December 2, 2020)
Event: Latvia Extends State of Emergency until January 11, 2021 and Announces Tighter Restrictions
On Tuesday, December 1, the Cabinet of Ministers announced an extension of the state of emergency until January 11, 2021 and implementation of tighter restrictions starting from December 3. For the full announcement, please visit https://mk.gov.lv/lv/aktualitates/pienemts-arkartejas-situacijas-pagarinajums-lidz-11-janvarim-ieviesot-stingrakus.
For details on healthcare restrictions please visit https://www.vm.gov.lv/lv/jaunums/uz-laiku-visas-slimnicas-ierobezos-planveida-stacionaros-pakalpojumus.
From December 3
- Face masks must be worn in all indoor facilities if there is more than one person, except in place of residence.
- The 2 + 2 principle must be applied (only two people from two different households may meet ensuring 2 meter distance).
- No private events beyond one household (except funerals and baptisms which can have up to 10 people from two households).
- Only Grades 1-4 can have in-person learning if the school ensures 3 square meters per student.
- Grades 5-12 will learn virtually.
- Higher educational classes that cannot be held remotely are limited to one student and one lecturer.
- Individual amateur art rehearsals can take place only individually.
- Choir and wind instrument rehearsals are prohibited.
- All stores must ensure space of 15 square meters per customer, providing a visible sign on the entrance door on maximum number of customers.
- Only on customer allowed at a time in small stores
- On work days, business hours are restricted to 6 am until 8 pm.
- On weekends, only grocery stores, pet stores, pharmacies, gas stations and hygiene supply stores may remain open.
- Cultural and exhibition venues, including fairs, will be closed.
- Libraries will offer take-away book service only.
- Churches may remain open up to 20% capacity.
- No more than 25 people can gather outside for meetings, processions, and demonstrations.
- Hairdressers, manicurists and pedicurists can provide their services ensuring that epidemiological safety requirements are observed.
From December 7
- Maximum of 50% capacity allowed on public transport.
- Tighter control checks for all incoming travelers ensuring that the CovidPass electronic form is used and all requirements for self-isolation are met.
From January 4
- School children as well as teachers must wear mouth and nose coverings inside and outside the classroom, including during the lesson.
Travelers to Latvia
All travelers to Latvia are required to fill out and complete the electronic form at https://covidpass.lv/en/ at least 48 h before crossing the border. For minors, the form must be completed by the parent/legal representative. The form requires personal information, contact details, and the previous 14 days travel history. Travelers will receive a QR code that must be submitted to the border guard official (in case of border control or random inspection). The data entered in the form will be forwarded to the competent Latvian authorities (Latvian police, border guard, and disease prevention and control center) and will be kept for 30 days. More information is available at: https://mk.gov.lv/en/aktualitates/october-12-when-crossing-border-republic-latvia-electronic-questionnaire-will-have-be.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit https://reopen.europa.eu/ for information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.