Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (March 30, 2020)
Event: Latvia Publishes New Restrictions to Limit the Spread of COVID-19 in English.
On March 29, 2020, the Government of Latvia announced stricter social distancing measures in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The new measures can now be found in English on the website of the Cabinet of Ministers at https://www.mk.gov.lv/en/aktualitates/stricter-rules-physical-distancing-persons-are-introduced-limit-spread-covid-19
The U.S. Embassy reiterates the State Department’s Level Four Global Health Advisory, stating “U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
U.S. Embassy Riga has no evacuation or chartered flights scheduled at this time.
There are currently no commercial passenger flights scheduled out of Riga Airport.
There are limited flights out of Tallinn and Vilnius Airports. U.S. citizens can cross the Latvian land borders with Estonia and Lithuania to fly out. In order to cross the borders, U.S. citizens must be able to prove that they have tickets to fly out of Tallinn or Vilnius airports. If you are planning on crossing either border to depart, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. citizens transiting through Frankfurt or Amsterdam will not be allowed to leave the airport while transiting. They must stay at the airport between flights.
Check the following sites to see the most up-to-date flight departure information:
Actions to Take:
- Email us directly at email@example.com if you are trying to leave Latvia.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.