Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (October 16, 2020)
Event: Latvia Tightens COVID-19 Restrictions and Requires a New Form for Travelers
On Tuesday, October 13, the Cabinet of Ministers published new restrictions to curb the rapid growth of COVID-19 in Latvia. For the full announcement, please visit https://mk.gov.lv/lv/aktualitates/uz-laiku-jaierobezo-cilveku-kustiba-arpus-katra-sociala-burbula
The changes to the restrictions are as follows:
From October 14, 2020 – November 6, 2020 – Face masks must be worn on public transportation, in stores, pharmacies, post offices, museums, exhibition halls, libraries and churches as well as in places where two meters distance is not possible and presence exceeds 15 minutes.
From October 17 – November 6, 2020 –
- Bars, restaurants and coffee shops will be open from 6 a.m. until 12 a.m. with two meters between tables and no more than four people per table who are not from the same household.
- Indoor sport training can only take place individually.
- Group sport trainings are permitted only outdoors or remotely.
- Private event venues may have a total of 30 people indoors and 300 people outdoors.
Measures previously announced –
- Only events with fixed, personalized seating may take place indoors.
- Adult informal education groups are limited to 30 people
Note: The requirement of two meters for social distancing remains in place.
From October 12, 2020, all travelers to Latvia are required to fill out the electronic form at https://covidpass.lv/en/. For minors, the form must be completed by the parent/legal representative. The form requires personal information, contact details, and the previous 14 days travel history. Travelers will receive a QR code that must be submitted to the border guard official (in case of border control or random inspection). The form must be completed at least 48 hours before crossing the border. The data entered in the form will be forwarded to the competent Latvian authorities (Latvian police, border guard, and disease prevention and control center) and will be kept for 30 days. More information is available at: https://mk.gov.lv/en/aktualitates/october-12-when-crossing-border-republic-latvia-electronic-questionnaire-will-have-be.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit https://reopen.europa.eu/ for information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.