Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (April 1, 2020)
Event: Lithuania to Suspend Passenger Air Travel on April 4, 2020.
On April 1, 2020 the Government of Lithuania announced the suspension of passenger air and ferry travel with the exception of the Kiel to Klaipeda ferry service.
This means that U.S. citizens who would like to return to the U.S. through Vilnius can only do so through April 3, 2020. U.S. citizens who do not show symptoms of COVID-19 can cross the Latvian land border with Lithuania to transit with proof of on onward travel from Vilnius.
U.S. citizens who do not show symptoms of COVID-19 can also cross the Latvian land border with Estonia to fly out with proof of onward travel from Tallinn. Visit the COVID-19 Page and Alerts and Messages on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Estonia for up-to-date departure information.
If you are planning on crossing either border to depart, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. citizens transiting through some European airports such as Frankfurt or Amsterdam will not be allowed to leave the airport while transiting. They must stay at the airport between flights. Please email us for more information.
While there are currently no scheduled passenger flights out of Latvia, Americans should check Air Baltic and the Latvian Ministry of Transportation websites for up-to-date information on possible flight additions. As well, the Stena Line ferry company is currently operating the VENTSPILS- NYNÄSHAMN ferry. To inquire about availability, please email them at email@example.com and check their website regularly.
The U.S. Embassy reiterates the State Department’s Level Four Global Health Advisory, stating “U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.”
Actions to Take:
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are trying to leave Latvia.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.