Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia – March 28, 2020
Event: Only One Scheduled Flight from Riga Airport – March 30, 2020 to Frankfurt
The U.S. Embassy reiterates the State Department’s Level Four Global Health Advisory, stating “U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
U.S. Embassy Riga has no evacuation or chartered flights scheduled at this time.
Presently, there is only one commercial scheduled flight out of Riga Airport. It will depart on March 30, 2020 to Frankfurt on Air Baltic. More information can be found on the Air Baltic Travel Updates Page
U.S. citizens transiting through Frankfurt or Amsterdam will not be allowed to leave the airport while transiting. They must stay at the airport between flights.
U.S. citizens can still cross the Latvian land borders with Estonia and Lithuania to fly out. In order to cross the borders, U.S. citizens must be able to prove that they have tickets to fly out of Tallinn or Vilnius airports. If you are planning on crossing either border to depart, please email us at email@example.com.
Flight Departure Information:
- Air Baltic has one more flight on March 30, 2020 from Riga to Frankfurt. Other flights may be added in the future but it is not guaranteed. Continue to check their website at https://www.airbaltic.com/en/travel-updates.
- The Latvian Ministry of Transportation website is regularly updated with arrivals and departures from Latvia.
- At the moment, Lufthansa has scheduled flights on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from Tallinn to Frankfurt. Please visit their website hereand search Timetable by Route for more information.
- The Tallinn Airport website lists Tallinn Airport arrivals and departures. Please check for up-to-date information.
From Lithuania: (UNTIL 13 April 2020, 00:00)
- The Vilnius Airport departures page has information on possible flights.
Please visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for up-to-date information on departures and resources available.
Actions to Take:
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are trying to leave Latvia.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 1- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.