Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (June 26, 2020)
Event: Travel to Latvia and Within the European Union
Travel to Latvia:Only citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area, and the Swiss Confederation, as well as people with permanent residence status in those countries, are permitted to enter Latvia.
Travelers entering from countries that have a cumulative number of COVID-19 cases that exceeds 15 individuals out of 100,000 will be required to self-isolate upon arrival for 14 days. Epidemiological data listing the number of COVID-19 cases in each of the European countries is updated every Friday and can be found on the website of Latvia’s Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (SPKC) here.
Citizens and permanent residents of Latvia, who have visited only Lithuania or Estonia during the 14 days before entering Latvia, are not required to self-isolate upon entry. For more information on travel within the Baltic States, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website here.
Travel Within the European Union:
For information on border openings and entry/exit requirements for countries within the European Union, please visit https://reopen.europa.eu/.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.