Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia – March 20, 2020
Event: Departure Options Dwindle from Latvia
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19 on March 19, 2020.
U.S. Embassy Riga has no evacuation or chartered flights scheduled at this time.
U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with commercial airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.
The government of Latvia has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Flights out of Riga Airport are by special permission only by the Latvian Ministry of Transportation.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline. Visit the following sites for up-to-date flight information in Latvia:
The Latvian Ministry of Transportation maintains a list of authorized departures and arrivals to/from Latvia. New flights are being added throughout the day. Please contact the carriers listed for seat availability.
- AirBaltic is adding flights. Visit their webpage for a list all upcoming added flights out of Riga and follow the booking instructions.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Estonia has confirmed that Americans who are transiting through Estonia to their home countries can pass through the land border with Latvia if they do not show symptoms of COVID-19. Visit the Tallinn Airport website for information on available flights from Estonia.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania has confirmed that person returning to their country of residence shall be allowed to transit through the territory of the Republic of Lithuania without a stopover until 23 March 2020, 00:00. Visit the Vilnius Airport website for information on available flights from Lithuania.
Actions to Take:
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on the U.S. government for assistance
- Monitor our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for updates on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.