Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia (March 25, 2020)
Event: The Government of Latvia Implements Stricter Social Distancing Measures. Lithuania Delays Land Border Closure for Transiting Foreigners
On March 25, 2020 the Government of Latvia announced new social-distancing measures to limit the spread of COVID. On weekends and holidays, only grocery stores, pharmacies, pet pharmacies, opticians, pet food, hygiene and household stores, and building and garden supply stores will be open in the shopping centers. More information on the measures can be found on the Cabinet of Ministers website.
The U.S. Embassy reiterates the State Department’s Level Four Global Health Advisory, stating “U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.”
Americans can still fly out of Riga, Tallinn, and Vilnius with very limited options.
On March 25, 2020, The Lithuanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs delayed the date of closure of its land border with Latvia for transiting foreigners to April 12, 2020 at midnight.
Please visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for current departure information.
Actions to Take:
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are trying to leave Latvia.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Follow travel.state.gov on Facebook and Twitter
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +371 2920 5708
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.