Riga, May 21, 2014 – The U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce the launch of this year’s competition for the Humphrey Fellowship Program for the academic year 2015–2016. The Embassy encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
The Humphrey Program provides mid-career Latvians with an opportunity to enhance their professional capabilities through participation in a specialized year of graduate-level, non-degree academic course work, and professional development activities at selected U.S. universities. Programs are individually designed to include course work, independent projects, internships, consultations with U.S. experts, and special seminars.
By providing future leaders and policymakers with a shared experience of U.S. society and culture and current U.S. approaches to the fields in which they work, the Humphrey program aims to provide a basis for lasting, productive ties between Americans and their professional counterparts in other countries.
Humphrey Fellowships are granted competitively to professional candidates with a commitment to public service in both the public and private sectors, specifically in the following fields:
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Economic Development/Finance and Planning
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
- Human Resource Management
- Law and Human Rights
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment, and Prevention
- Technology Policy and Management
- Trafficking in Persons, Policy and Prevention
- Urban and Regional Planning
To be eligible for a Humphrey Fellowship, applicants must have the following:
- Latvian citizenship or a Latvian non-citizen passport;
- A university degree;
- Five years of substantial, post-university professional experience;
- Demonstrated leadership qualities;
- English language proficiency (Note: candidates will have to take TOEFL);
- Limited prior experience in the United States.
Applicants can apply for a Humphrey Fellowship electronically at the following website: https://apply.embark.com/student/humphrey/fellowship/98/. The application deadline is September 2, 2014.
For more information about the Humphrey Fellowship Program, please visit http://riga.usembassy.gov/, or http://www.humphreyfellowship.org.