Replacing a Limited Validity (1-year) Passport

This page provides information only for U.S. citizens renewing a limited validity (1-year or less) passport.

If you are carrying a limited validity passport, the passport cannot be extended. Rather, you must apply for a replacement passport. If you apply for the replacement before the limited validity passport expires, the replacement passport is provided free of charge. You must present the following items:

  1. Completed Form DS-5504
  2. One passport photo (no more than 6 months old), 2 inches (5 cm) square with a white background.
  3. Your limited validity U.S. passport.
  4. To make an appointment please click here.

Once the application is complete and approved by the Consul, the passport will be ready for pick-up in approximately 10 – 14 days.