Location: All of Latvia
Event: The U.S. government remains concerned that terrorists are intent on targeting U.S. citizens, including children. Terrorists may employ a variety of tactics, such as violent assaults and kidnappings. In the past they have used knives, guns and vehicles as ramming devices. They may target schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other venues.
Actions to take:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations and transportation hubs.
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability.
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Report social media threats to local authorities.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia +371 6710 7000
+371 6710 7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter