Citizenship Services

What Service Do You Require?

U.S. citizenship may be acquired either at birth or through naturalization subsequent to birth.  Persons born outside of the U.S. may acquire U.S. citizenship under certain circumstances. For more information please read the Department of State information on Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship or contact us at


Find information about renouncing your U.S. citizenship on the website.

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Loss of Citizenship documentation in the presence of a Consular Officer.  Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

If you would like to proceed by making an appointment with a consular officer to renounce your citizenship, please send us an email at


The Latvian Parliament (Saeima) passed amendments to the Citizenship Law in May, 2013, which allow eligible persons to obtain Latvian dual citizenship. For more information please visit the website of the Latvian Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.

Entering and Departing the U.S.

According to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for an American citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on anything other than an American passport. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Latvian and American citizenships and passports must enter and leave the U.S. on a U.S. passport.  They may not enter/leave the U.S. on a Latvian passport. This applies to children as well as adults.

Please visit website for detailed information for travelers with dual nationality.