If you wish to abandon your LPR status, you must file Form I-407 Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).
PREPARE THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Form I-407 completed in English and signed. Please note that your Form I-407 will be rejected and returned to you as unprocessed if it lacks your signature.
- Form I-551 (a.k.a. LPR card or green card), if available. If unavailable, the appropriate box should be checked on your Form I-407.
- All other USCIS booklets and cards issued to you, if available.
- If you are filing the Form I-407 on behalf of a minor child (17 years old or younger), each parent, custodian, or legal guardian must sign the form and consent to the submission of the form. You should include with it:
- Evidence of parental relationship with the child (e.g., birth certificate, court documents on adoption, or similar).
- Proof of identity of the persons signing for the minor (e.g., passport or passport/ID card).
- If there is only one parent, guardian, or custodian, proof must be submitted demonstrating that this person is indeed the sole decision maker for the child (e.g., a death certificate of the other parent, custody decree, guardianship papers, or similar).
OPTION 1 – USCIS STRONGLY ENCOURAGES TO SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTS BY MAIL TO THE NEAREST USCIS OFFICE
Please review Form I-407 instruction page for information on how to file by mail. We recommend that you make one set of copies of all documents you send to USCIS for your own records and reference in the future.
OPTION 2 – SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTS AT A U.S. PORT OF ENTRY WHEN APPLYING FOR ADMISSION TO THE U.S.
OPTION 3 – SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTS IN PERSON TO THE NEAREST USCIS INTERNATIONAL FIELD OFFICE OR, IN LIMITED CIRCUMSTANCES, WITH THE U.S. EMBASSY RIGA CONSULAR SECTION
If you are an applicant for official visa to the U.S. as a representative of a foreign government or international organization (visa classification A or G) and wish to abandon your LPR status, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and we will advise you about Consular filing of Form I-407. Under these circumstances, the U.S. Embassy Riga Consular Section staff may be able to accept your documents and forward them to USCIS on your behalf. In all other circumstances the above Option 1 or Option 2 should be used.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- Abandonment of LPR status is irrevocable – once relinquished, it cannot be reinstated, and you must qualify for such status anew.
- Subsequent to abandonment of your LPR status, if you wish to travel to the United States you must apply for an appropriate U.S. nonimmigrant visa (visitor for business or pleasure, exchange visitor, student, etc.) following the standard visa application procedure. You should not attempt to travel without a visa.