A U.S. lawful permanent resident (LPR) not in possession of their I-551 card (a.k.a. green cards) or reentry permit may apply for a boarding foil with the U.S. Embassy in Riga to be able to return to the United States. Boarding foils may only be issued to LPRs who are returning to the United States after an absence of less than one year. If 366 or more days have passed since your last departure from the United States, you must qualify for a returning resident status or other U.S. nonimmigrant or immigrant visa.
IMPORTANT: A boarding foil is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance. You must travel to the United States before your boarding foil expires and file the Form I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card with USCIS immediately after your arrival in the United States.
BOARDING FOIL APPLICATION PROCEDURE
I Prepare the following documents:
- Completed Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation).
- Passport (or other photo ID if passport is unavailable and cannot be issued by local authorities or respective foreign embassies in Latvia).
- Evidence showing the date when you last departed from the United States (e.g., e-tickets, boarding passes, etc.).
- Evidence showing that you acquired U.S. legal resident status (e.g., copy of your immigrant visa, USCIS admission stamp in your passport, etc.).
- Evidence showing that you maintained residence in the United States while temporarily visiting Latvia and/or other countries overseas (e.g., information about your employment in the United States, tax returns, family situation, etc.).
- Police report if your I-551 card and/or other travel documents have been stolen.
- One color photograph (5x5cm) of your full face, front view, against a light background taken within the last six months. Please click for more information on photo requirements.
- Copy of the non-refundable processing fee payment ($575) receipt from USCIS online payment system (ELIS).
II Schedule an appointment – please call +371 6710 7034 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment if you need to apply for a boarding foil.
III Appear at the embassy at the scheduled time – you will have to submit the above listed documents to the Consular Section and undergo an interview with a consular officer. Note that your application processing will take at least several days.
IV Receive your documents with a boarding foil – in case of a favorable decision, you will be able to pick up your documents and boarding foil on the next business day after the approval date.