Event: Effective midnight between Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17 local time, the government of Latvia will close its borders to all but Latvian citizens and Latvian residents who hold proper residency documentation. There are no restrictions for foreigners, including U.S. citizens, to depart Latvia. The border closures will impact a significant number of train, air, and bus routes. It will also include a complete stop of all cruise ship and ferry traffic to Latvia. EU land borders will be closed to commercial passenger vehicles but personal vehicles of Latvian citizens and residents will be permitted to cross. The borders with Russia and Belarus will be closed for all passenger travel. The Latvian government will continue to allow the transport of goods into Latvia, including food and medicine, through all borders.
The Latvian government is implementing these measures to curtail the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Expect significant delays at all Latvian ports of entry in the coming days.
Actions to Take:
- Be prepared for new travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Check with your airline, train operator, or cruise line regarding updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Latvia.
- Visit the Latvian Centre for Disease Prevention and Control website
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- If you believe you may have COVID-19 call the direct emergency number 113 and inform the health care provider about your symptoms and of any recent travel to area COVID-19 affected area.
- U.S. Embassy Riga, Latvia
Samnera Velsa iela 1
+371 6710 7000 (business hours)
+371 2920 5708 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Latvia Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter